A database administrator (DBA) is a person responsible for the installation , configuration , upgrade , administration , monitoring and maintenance of physical database s .
The role includes the development and des ign of database strategies, monitoring and improving database performance and capacity, and planning for future expansion requirements. They may also plan, co-ordinate and implement security measures to safeguard the database.
A database administrator's responsibilities can include the following tasks:
- Installing and upgrading the database server and application tools
- Allocating system storage and planning future storage requirements for the database system
- Creating primary database storage structures (tablespaces) after application developers have designed an application
- Creating primary objects (tables, views, indexes) once application developers have designed an application
- Modifying the database structure, as necessary, from information given by application developers
- Enrolling users and maintaining system security
- Ensuring compliance with database vendor license agreement
- Controlling and monitoring user access to the database
- Monitoring and optimising the performance of the database
- Planning for backup and recovery of database information
- Maintaining archived data on tape
- Backing up and restoring the database